Disclosure

10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Girl Should Own

09 March 2013


As much fun as shopping can be, it can also get a little stressful. There is just so much great (and not so great!) fashion out there, it's hard to sort through the racks to find pieces that are trendy, flattering, and affordable. 

That's why I like to start each season by stocking up my wardrobe with an updated collection of classic pieces that I know will never fail me. While fads like Ugg boots and crop tops have made their way in and out of my closet, these are the kind of pieces that will always stick around. 

So what are you waiting for? Break out the checklist and open those closet doors for my ten must-have wardrobe essentials! 


1. White T-Shirt
A good portion of my outfits include some version of a white t-shirt. Although it's not exciting, a basic t-shirt is super versatile and can be worked in to almost any outfit. I wear mine for every occasion- from running errands in sweats to more formal events tucked in with a cute skirt or with some fun accessories.



2. Dark Skinny Jeans
No matter your size or shape, I've found that dark skinnies are universally flattering. A dark blue or black color is great for slimming out your legs and the fit doesn't add any loose bulky fabric onto your frame. I tend to stay away from any sort of whiskering or distressing on my denim just because I feel like it can be unflattering and look a little cheesy.



3. Black Blazer
Whenever I feel like my look needs a little something extra to pull it together and look a bit more polished, the first piece I grab is my black blazer. I love pairing my blazer with a button down shirt or a t-shirt and a statement necklace. I feel like it just makes any outfit look really classy and elegant.



4. Riding Boots
A great pair of tall boots in a classic silhouette are perfect for fall and winter. I like to have a pair in brown and black so that I have a lot of styling options. Plus, they are perfect to pair with your dark skinny jeans!



5. Peacoat
I used to only wear puffy down jackets because I felt like they would keep me warmer in the harsh Mid-West winters. Then one day, I decided to try on a gorgeous belted wool peacoat and it was just love at first sight. Not only are peacoats incredibly flattering, but they also look tons better than your average winter jacket. I will literally throw mine on over sweats and still feel like the most stylish and put together person ever just because my coat is that awesome.



6. Cute Scarf
This one may be debatable for some people, but I absolutely cannot live without my scarves. I wear a lot of neutral colors, so I often find myself using bright patterned scarves to give my look some much needed color.



7. Little Black Dress
I just couldn't do a wardrobe essentials list without mentioning the LBD. Whether it's for a formal event or just a night out with your girlfriends, this classic piece looks great for every occasion. I tend to gravitate towards a basic tank dress and then add on fun accessories like a colorful belt or a bold statement necklace.



8. Chunky Knit Cardigan
This is another one that may not be essential for everyone, but it definitely is for me. I have a whole collection of oversized cardigans that I can throw on over a basic top and jeans. Just like blazers, a cute cardigan can really pull together an outfit (and keep you nice and warm!).



9. Button Down Blouse
Button downs can take you anywhere from a job interview to a date to class in the morning. I like to have some available not only in black and white, but also in bright colors and cute prints like polka dots. These guys are seriously a wardrobe classic- you know they will always look good and they'll never go out of style!



10. Comfy Flats
I have to confess, I almost never wear heels. To me, the blisters and constant discomfort are just not worth the cuteness. And with so many cute flats out there, who needs them anyways? I generally stick with either boho moccasins or really girly ballet flats. Lately I've been getting into boat shoes as well, they are incredibly comfy and versatile!

I'd love to hear what your wardrobe essentials are in the comments down below! 

For more style recommendations, click the video link below! I share all the goodies I've recently purchased from Rebecca Minkoff, Ted Baker London, J.Crew, and more!





Photo Credits: Real Simple, Piperlime

18 comments:

  1. Yey! Have them all =) It's a good guide, I know so many girls who don't have the basics

    My Own Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently transitioning from the geeky tomboy...I love makeup and fashion but I'm not very good at that lifestyle. I only own about half of your list :( I thought I was well on my way but it looks like I have a lot of work left to do, lol! Keep the posts coming because I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I can't think of a better kind of work than shopping! And thanks so much! ♥

      Delete
  3. Love the list - agree with the flats only, though you should see how much my new flats are eating me!! :( My big roll of strapping tape is my best friend at the moment... ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely know what you mean! That's why I'm always on the lookout for comfy flats lol, they're hard to come by! :)

      Delete
  4. I just started blogging and ended up stumbling upon your page, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so inspired! I'm married and we're having some financial down-time right now, but its so nice to see someone like you, taking the time to reach out to people like me with advice about beauty and fashion that even I could afford! Thanks so much - it's really a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwe this totally made my day girly, thanks so much for the kind words! So glad I could help! :)

      Delete
  6. I agree with all you said. I must add a tan work skirt. Its one of those things I always must have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Neutral shirts are always good to have around! :)

      Delete
  7. Great list. Lauren Conrad's book Style includes these same exact pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That is too funny! I love her, so I certainly don't mind that we have a similar sense of style! :)

      Delete
  8. Pencil Skirt! Definitely something to have in one's closet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in the southwest, so a pea coat, and bulky sweaters are not in my wardrobe, instead I have a denim jacket. I have several of the button down shirts to wear if and when it ever gets chilly :-) Also, my boots are cowboy boots-LUV them!! Great list!! I have to try the dress thing again...I just don't feel like they are flattering on me. I'm big and tall and feel like I look like a guy wearing a dress-LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found the list helpful June! LBD's are flattering for every girl as long as you find the right silhouette. For the body shape you described, I would recommend trying a wrap dress. It cinches you in at the waist and gives enough coverage that you'll feel comfortable in it. Hope that helped! :)

      Delete

Show this post some love! I read all comments before they are posted, so please don't waste your time or mine with spam!

Blog design by